This is an easy yet satisfying snack to make using a can of chickpeas and some spices & seeds you probably already have at home. This recipe came about because I had way too many cans of chickpeas.
If you’re just having this alone as a snack, you could eat it with your favorite tortilla chips, pita chips, or crackers, or add crushed chips and eat it with a spoon. It would also be delicious to add to some salad greens, a burger, or sandwich.
This recipe is completely free of gluten, dairy, and soy.
I enjoy making this recipe with all non-GMO or organic ingredients.
A Simple Snack Using Canned Chickpeas
- 1 can of chickpeas / garbanzo beans
- granulated garlic
- poppy seeds
- sunflower seeds
- your favorite tortilla chips, pita chips, or crackers
- Take a can of garbanzo beans and rinse/drain them a bit. (doesn’t have to be perfect!)
- Add avocado oil to a medium-sized pan over medium heat. Allow it to heat up for about a minute.
- Add the garbanzo beans to the pan, and move them around so they cover the whole surface of the pan (ie. they’re not all stacks in a pile, but spread out)
- Add generous amounts of granulated garlic and cumin – enough to touch all the chickpeas a bit – and a lesser amount of paprika.
- Add salt and black pepper to your liking. I used quite a bit of black pepper and a little salt.
- Sprinkle some poppy seeds and sunflower seeds.
- Cook over medium heat for a few minutes, enough that any remaining liquid has thickened into a seasoning-filled sauce.
- Serve immediately.
I hope you enjoy this simple chickpea snack as much as I do!
If you gave it a try, I’d love to hear about your experience, so add your photos to the “tries” on Pinterest or share them on social media and tag me @strongwithpurpose!